If you love year-round sunshine, fantastic restaurants, and an easy-going lifestyle, you may want to join the 8,500 residents who have already discovered that Lithia, Florida, is a wonderful place to live. Whether you are relocating from a nearby city or from across the country, there are some things you should know to ensure that your relocation is a success. Here are the top questions you should ask yourself before you make the final decision to buy one of the homes in Lithia, Florida, and make this city your new home.
What do people love about living in Florida?
There are myriad reasons that people love living in Florida, from the plentiful sunshine to the Southern hospitality. Here are just a few of the reasons that people continue to flock here!
Pros of living in Florida
- No state income tax
- Plenty of entertainment nearby
- World-class beaches
- Year-round warm weather and no snow or ice
- Number of housing options for retirees and snowbirds
- Lower cost to buy a beach home than many other coastal towns
Do I have career options?
Before you decide to make the move, make sure you have plenty of job options. While some of those who buy homes in Lithia, Florida, are still able to work remotely and have the luxury of living wherever they choose, others have been required to return to their offices at least part-time. While Lithia itself may have limited employment opportunities, depending on what industry you are in, Tampa is a mere 21 miles away and St. Petersburg just 43 miles. Top employers in Tampa
include Bloomin’ Brands, Sykes Enterprises, Hillsborough County Public Schools, and WellCare Health Plans. St. Petersburg is the home of large employers
, like Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, HSN, and Times Publishing Company.
What kind of home can I afford?
Like many other parts of the country, the Lithia real estate market is hot, and prices continue to rise. The median list price for Lithia homes is $435,321, up almost 25% from September 2020. Before you decide to make the move, talk with a Lithia real estate agent about your home needs and if there are any houses currently on the market that fit those needs and your budget. If there aren’t, consider holding off on a move until your agent can find a house that you want to buy.
Have I saved enough money for the move?
Relocating is not cheap, and it’s important to know how much it will cost so you can determine whether you have enough money saved up. In addition to making a down payment and covering closing costs on homes in Lithia, Florida, you’ll have to pay to have all your belongings moved. If you’re moving long-distance, you could end up paying anywhere from $1,500 to $4,200 for the services of a professional mover
depending on how much stuff you have. Establish a budget to see where you stand financially with respect to a move. If you’ve sold or are planning to sell the home you currently own, you can tap into the equity to cover costs. If not — and if you don’t want to wait the months or years it might take to save up enough money — think about taking out a short-term loan or borrowing from your 401(k) to get the necessary cash.
What does the future look like?
Now may seem like an ideal time for you to buy one of the homes in Lithia, Florida, and relocate, but have you put enough thought into what the future will likely bring? Are you leaving behind aging parents who may need your help as they lose mobility or have other health issues? Are you moving to be near a child in college who may decide to live elsewhere after they graduate? Sit down with your significant other and try to envision all of the future scenarios that might unfold. This will help you make a more solid moving decision and be prepared for whatever the future may hold.
Tips for buying homes in Lithia, Florida
Decided that a move to Lithia is the right decision for you and your family? Here are some tips to find and buy a home you love.
- Get preapproved. Before you start looking at homes in Lithia, Florida, work with a mortgage lender to get preapproved for a mortgage. This will show sellers you are serious about buying and will give you a better idea of how much you can afford.
- Work with an experienced Lithia, Florida, real estate agent early in the process. It’s a good idea to contact a local agent before you move so you can get an agent on your side as soon as possible. Your agent can help narrow down home choices, assist you with crafting an offer and walk you through the entire closing process.
- Know what you want. To help your agent out, put thought into what you envision in a home. Want to be near the water? Interested in a condo or a single-family home? How many bedrooms do you need? Is a pool a must? The more information you can give your agent, the better they will be able to help you.
If you’ve decided to relocate to this beautiful Florida town, reach out to trusted Lithia real estate agent Brenda Wade for expert guidance.